Cryptocurrencies in Zambia are increasingly growing in popularity as more Zambians embracing digital currencies for different reasons. Buying cryptocurrency in Zambia is easy and straightforward. There are several trusted cryptocurrency exchanges in Zambia through which you can buy cryptos. Bitcoin is the major cryptocurrency on sell in Zambia. This article will show you how to buy cryptocurrency in Zambia.
- Cryptocurrency is a digital currency that can be used to buy goods and services or invest.
- There are tons of cryptocurrencies. The most popular crypto is bitcoin, which is the one we recommend. Bitcoin is the original and the leading digital currency. It was created in January 2009 by Satoshi Nakamoto. The true identity of Satoshi Nakamoto is not known.
- As of this writing, 1 bitcoin equals 749,214.29 Zambian Kwacha. While Kwacha can be divided into 100 ngwee, the smallest unit of bitcoin, called Satoshi, is one hundred millionth of a single bitcoin (0.00000001 BTC)
- Is cryptocurrency legal in Zambia? Cryptocurrencies in Zambia are not regulated because the Bank of Zambia does not consider cryptocurrency legal tender. This means activities related to the buying, trading or usage of cryptocurrencies are done at owner’s risk.
Cryptocurrency scams are on the rise all over the world including Zambia. Don’t entertain social media messages or emails asking you to “join bitcoin” and get rich instantly. Beware of individuals or companies that promise huge returns on crypto investment.
Before you can buy crypto in Zambia, you need the following.
- A cryptocurrency exchange in Zambia. A crypto exchange is a platform that allows its users to buy and sell cryptocurrencies. It is a cryptocurrency marketplace. A cryptocurrency exchange can be a local one or a global one with multi-currency support.
- Payment method. Your payment method will depend on the cryptocurrency exchange’s supported payment method. It can be a debit card, credit card, bank transfer, money transfer such as Western Union, Transferwise (rebranded to Wise), mobile money such as Airtel Money and MTN Money, etc.
- Crypto wallet. Cryptocurrencies are not physical currencies. Therefore, you need a secure cryptocurrency wallet to store your cryptos. Crypto wallets are of different types: mobile, web, desktop and hardware. Best bitcoin wallets in Zambia include software cryptocurrency wallets such as Samourai, Muun, and Exodus or a hardware wallet such as Trezor and Ledger. All these are bitcoin wallets accepted in Zambia.
Your bitcoin wallet is protected by “private keys” (a form of password). You are advised to store your cryptocurrency in a wallet that you have the private keys for. Cryptocurrency exchanges, such as the ones listed below, may have their own wallet where you can store your bitcoin but you don’t have the full control. And as it is said in the crypto community, “Not your keys, not your coins.”
To buy cryptocurrencies in Zambia, you first need a cryptocurrency exchange. There are several reliable cryptocurrency exchanges in Zambia where you can buy crypto. Things to consider when choosing a crypto exchange in Zambia include transaction fees, delivery times, geographical availability, and payment methods. Examples of crypto exchanges in Zambia include the following:
LocalBitcoins specializes in connecting buyers and sellers. It allows you to list your own buy/sell advertisements. You can buy cryptocurrency on LocalBitcoins using payment methods such as MTN Money, Airtel Money, bank transfers (FNB, ZANACO, ABSA, etc), cash, Mukuru, PayPal, Western Union, etc.
Paxful is a peer-to-peer cryptocurrency trading platform that supports more than 300 payment methods. These include MTN Mobile Money, Airtel Mobile Money, bank transfers (all banks in Zambia), Moneygram, PayPal, cash payments, gift cards, online wallets, debit/credit cards, and even altcoins like Ethereum.
Pursa is one of the best crypto exchanges in Zambia you can use to buy bitcoin instantly with Airtel Money, MTN Money, MasterCard or VISA. With Pursa affiliate program, you can earn up to 20% of Pursa’s fees when you refer people to Pursa.
YellowCard is a fast and secure platform to buy cryptocurrency in Zambia. Its ease of use makes it ideal for non-tech savvy individuals and newbies in the crypto trade space. The supported payment methods are bank transfers, cash and mobile money. YellowCard does not offer a wide range of altcoins (cryptocurrencies other than bitcoin) to choose from.
Coinmama is another leading cryptocurrency exchange that allows you to buy and sell crypto instantly. Coinmama has high purchasing limits and you can use a credit/debit card (as long as it’s a Visa or MasterCard) or bank transfer to buy on this platform. However, the platform charges high fees when purchasing with a credit or debit card and it does not support mobile money.
Coinmama rate is displayed in USD, EUR, GBP, CAD, AUD and JPY, but the exchange accepts all currencies. If you pay with another currency different from the ones displayed, your bank may charge an exchange fee.
CEX.IO is a user-friendly crypto exchange that is supported worldwide. It allows you to buy bitcoin with multiple payment options like debit or credit cards, SWIFT, SEPA, ACH, etc. The platform accepts deposits in RUB, GBP, EUR, and USD, which will be converted into local currency. The downside to this excellent platform is that its verification procedure requires private information and it takes a long time.
Changelly is an instant crypto exchange in Zambia. Changelly has a limited number of payment methods. You can only buy crypto from Zambia with a bank card (VISA or MasterCard) and Apple Pay. Moreoever, the exchange does not support Zambian kwacha, you can buy crypto with USD only. The platform offers the best live rates on the market and low fees.
Is there any Bitcoin ATM in Zambia? No, as of July 2021, there are no Bitcoin ATMs in Zambia. However, there are 18 Bitcoin ATMs in Africa including neighboring countries such as Botswana, Zimbabwe, and South Africa.
Kraken is one of the best Bitcoin exchanges globally offering a wide selection of cryptocurrencies. Unfortunately, using Kraken is not as straightforward as other exchanges. Kraken doesn’t support payment with third party payment processors such as mobile money. The platform only supports VISA and MasterCard payment methods in Zambia.
However, to able to make card purchases, the following conditions must be met:
- Your Kraken account must be verified to the Intermediate or Pro level.
- You must hold a valid Visa or Mastercard in the same legal name as your Kraken account.
- Your debit or credit card needs to support 3D Secure version 1 (3DSv1).
Upon finding your preferred cryptocurrency exchange, you will need to register for an account with your exchange of choice. Here, you will go through the platform’s Know Your Customer (KYC) process for verification. The process varies depending on the cryptocurrency exchange you have choosen.
When your account has been verified after going through the KYC process, choose cryptocurrency seller in Zambia with the best price and who accepts the payment method of your choice. Make sure you choose a seller whose has been verified and has a trust score of 100% or thereabout. Once you are satisfied with the seller’s reputation, price and payment method, you are free to buy bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency.
After buying your crypto, it will be sent to the address of your cryptocurrency wallet. Each wallet has its own digital address. It is not advisable to leave your crypto funds on an exchange. As such, you will need to find the best bitcoin and cryptocurrency wallets such as Samourai, Muun and Exodus to store your crypto funds.
The most common questions people ask are, “What do I do with my bitcoin after buying?,” “How do I withdraw bitcoin from Zambia?,” or “How do I cash out bitcoin in Zambia?” There are many options for this. Some of them are:
- Hodl. You can keep your bitcoin. Bitcoin is considered a store of value. This means you can hold onto your bitcoin (a practice commonly known as Hodl in the cryptocurrency community) and sell when the price goes up.
- Collateral for fiat money loans. You can obtain a loan by using your bitcoin as collateral. There are bitcoin loan platforms such as CoinLoan that you give out loans while keeping your bitcoin as collateral. Alternatively, you can use peer to peer bitcoin lending platforms where you lend your bitcoin to borrowers and earn interest.
- Crypto trading. Cryptocurrency trading is a growing investment field. Basically, you buy bitcoin when the price is low and sell for fiat money when the price goes up.
Please read our comprehensive guide on how to earn passive income from bitcoin.
Buying cryptocurrency in Zambia is easy as there are several cryptocurrency exchanges you can use to buy cryptos in the country using local bank transfers, credit/debit card, cash and mobile money. However, beware of cryptocurrency scams online so you don’t lose your hard earned Kwacha.