Virtual cards have become a convenient and secure way to make online and in-store payments. Chime virtual card is a virtual card issued by Chime Bank that you can use to make online purchases. By using Chime virtual card, also known as Chime temporary card, you prevent your credit card number and sensitive banking information from getting compromised.
Here, we will be looking at Chime virtual cards, how to get one, and how to use them to make online purchases.
What is Chime Virtual Card?
Chime virtual card is a temporary debit card number you can use to make online payments. It is a digital card that works almost the same way as a physical card. The card improves the security and privacy of your banking details while shopping online.
How Does Chime Virtual Card Work?
A Chime virtual card works almost the same way as a physical card, only that in this case, the Chime digital card can be used to pay for online purchases. Chime virtual card is linked to your traditional account.
You can set a maximum spend limit on your Chime digital card to avoid overspending. Besides, you can also limit your Chime virtual card to a single merchant to prevent your card from being used to make payments to other merchants.
How to Get Chime Virtual Card
If you have Chime physical card, then follow these simple steps to get Chime virtual card:
- Log in to your Chime account. Locate settings and search for “virtual card”
- Generate a virtual card number. You then need to generate a virtual card number and set whether you want a single merchant card or a multi-use virtual card with multiple merchants.
- Set Chime virtual card spending limits and expiration date. To avoid charges, you can set maximum spending limits and set your virtual card so that you can use it to make daily, weekly, or monthly payments only. You can also set the specific merchants the credit card can be used to pay.
- Create a Chime temporary digital card number and delete it when you no longer need it. Once you have created a virtual card, and you no longer need it, it is advisable to delete it for enhanced security.
Read also: Chime Bank Review
How to Use Chime Virtual Card
Now that you know it is possible to get Chime virtual card, it is also good to know how you can use that Chime virtual card. This is how to use Chime virtual card:
- Make in-store and online payments. You can use your Chime virtual card to pay for online and in-store purchases, where Visa payments are accepted.
- Pay bills. You can also use your Chime virtual credit card to pay bills
- Make transfers. You can also use Chime virtual card to transfer money to Chime members or receive direct deposits.
Chime Virtual Card Fees
There are no fees associated with using your Chime virtual card. Chime does not charge any fees for creating or using a virtual card, and there are also no fees for making purchases with your virtual card.
However, there may be fees associated with making a manual payment with your virtual card. For example, if you are paying for a purchase online, the merchant may charge a transaction fee. If you are making a payment over the phone, the merchant may also charge a fee for processing the payment.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Chime Virtual Credit Card
The following are some of the benefits of using a Chime virtual credit card:
- Your banking details are protected from getting compromised
- Gives you control over your spending by setting limits on your virtual card
- You can close your account while your main credit card account is still open
The following are some of the drawbacks associated with the Chime virtual credit card:
- You can’t verify your credit card information after using the card
- You can use a virtual credit card to withdraw money from an ATM
- It is challenging to get a refund for services or goods you bought using a virtual credit card
Alternatives to Chime Virtual Card
You can use the following virtual cards as an alternative to Chime virtual card:
Chime Virtual Card Review
Chime virtual debit card is a great way to protect your yourself from data breaches. It allows you to make online and in-store purchases without compromising the privacy of your banking details. This gives you the peace of mind you need to make purchases online without having to carry cash.
Chime virtual card FAQs
Does Chime Have a Virtual Card?
Yes. Chime Bank offers a virtual card that you can use the same way you would use a physical card. Chime Bank allows you to create and delete a virtual card when need be. You can use your Chime virtual card to make payments in-store and online, where Visa payments are accepted.
Can I use my Chime virtual card at ATM?
No, you cannot use your Chime virtual card at an ATM. Chime virtual cards are designed for online and in-store purchases only. They cannot be used to withdraw cash from an ATM.
Does Chime virtual card affect credit score?
No. Getting Chime virtual card does not affect your credit score at all. As long as you are paying for all your purchases, Chime virtual card shouldn’t hurt your credit score.
How can you use Chime virtual card in-store?
To use your Chime virtual card in-store, you can add it to a mobile wallet like Apple Pay, Google Pay, or Samsung Pay and make contactless payments. If a store does not accept mobile payments, you can make a manual payment by providing the cashier with your Chime virtual card number, expiration date, and CVV code.
Can you get cash back with Chime temporary card?
You cannot get cash back with a Chime temporary card. Chime temporary cards or virtual cards are designed for online and in-store purchases only. They cannot be used to get cash back at a store.
How to load money on Chime temporary card
You cannot load money onto a Chime temporary card. Chime temporary cards are one-time use cards linked to your account that are generated when you need to make an online or in-store purchase without your physical Chime debit card.